Monday, June 19, 2017

Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors for Men



Cardiovascular disease is an umbrella term for many conditions that affect the heart and blood vessels. Approximately 1 in 3 American men has one of these conditions. One condition is heart disease, which is the most common cause of death for men in the United States. The Men’s Health Resource Center has a list risk factors to look at.

Look at the list of statements below. If any of them are true about you, make an appointment to see your healthcare provider today. Just one “Yes” answer means you are at risk. Two “Yes” answers quadruples your risk. Three “Yes” answers increases your risk by 10 times:

  • I’m 45 or older (Your risk of developing cardiovascular disease doubles each decade.)
  • An immediate family member (father, mother, brother, sister) was diagnosed with high blood pressure or some other kind of heart condition before age 55.
  • I get little or no exercise.
  • I’m overweight or obese.
  • I eat a lot of salty foods and/or I add salt to what I’m eating.
  • My cholesterol is high.
  • I smoke. (If you do, you are two to four times more likely to develop heart disease than a nonsmoker.)
  • I have high blood pressure.
  • I use recreational drugs, such as cocaine.
  • I’m under a lot of stress (at work and/or at home).
  • I drink more than two alcoholic drinks every day.
  • I drink a lot of coffee (not decaf) or other caffeinated beverages.
  • I have diabetes. (More than 80% of people with diabetes die of some kind of CVD.)
  • I’m taking prescription medications that affect blood pressure.

This month is Men’s Health Month, and the goal is to encourage all men to visit their doctors and make sure that they are healthy. Encourage the men in your life to visit a healthcare provider!

No comments: